Saturday, July 15, 2006

And Krista's new village will be...

I have made it half way through stage (training) and just got my site announcement and had my counterpart workshop. My site is a village called Bilan Perga (or BilamPerga or multiple other spellings). Bilan Perga is northwest of Fada and east of Ouaga, for those of you who know your Burkina geography. Right now I don't have that much info on the site, but I get to go there this coming week so hopefully more info will be coming soon. I do know they grow a ton of tomatoes there... so at least I will have something good to eat. My closest PC neighbor is going to be a very close distance of only 8k, in a village called Bilanga Yanga. The local language is Gulmancema, so I have my work cut out for me. The school in Bilan Perga is a bilingual school, meaning the first two years are taughtin both the local lang and french. We just finished our counterpart workshops today in Ouaga. My counterpart (homologue) is a very nice teacher from my village named Natalie.
Okay, some other updates since last time.
Village life is good. I am really enjoing Bogoya and will miss my family there at the end of stage. My grandpere is the chef (traditional leader) of Bogoya, which is neat even though it means that I have been called princess a few times. And I have a new More name given to me by my family is Malika, so I am Kindo Malika. And yup Malika is princess or queen in Arabic. :o)
Training is going good, long and hard but good.
For the 4th of July we decided to party in style at Chez Malika (that would be my house) so we had 40+ PC people for dinner, prepared by yours trully and some other trainees and volunteers. Cooked for fires in my courtyard. After dinner we invited the community in for dancing. Lots of sweaty fun! Check out the pics.
More pics hopefully will be added at some point, but remeber I am in Africa and these things take time.

1 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Randal Kay said...

Ok Princess, where's the pics?!

Sounds like things are going very well for you. We had a REALLY hard time hearing you on our first call, but of course you ARE in AFRICA!

Love You,'
DAD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home