Sunday, October 02, 2005

Fear: My reason for joining PC

This is a poem I found many years ago and for some reason I keep coming back to. I don't know who it is by and I think it is better that way.

I feel it coming again: fear, crawling under my skin.
That quite unspoken, never admitted feeling...
That haunting, ever-nagging, turn-your-back-and-run panic...
Fear: not of spiders or big dogs or the pull of the ocean,
But fear of my ability, people's reaction, the future, mistakes.
O Lord, help me to face my fears and turn them around.
Be my anchor; stand by me until I -
Stop fearing I might lose in love...
But fear instead that I might never love at all.
Stop fearing there are others better than me...
But fear instead that I will never discover my true potential.
Stop fearing I might not meet others' expectaions...
But fear instead that I might never know yours.
Stop fearing what lies ahead tomorrow, next week, next month, next year...
But fear instead that I might never experience life's drama today.
Stop fearing hurt and sorrow and tears...
But fear instead that I will never know the pains of growth.
Stop fearing I might fail...
But fear instead that I might never try.
Stop fearing others will laugh at me...
But fear instead that I might never learn to laugh at myself.
O Lord, help me to anchor my life on your hope
Instead of my fear.
O Lord, I know an adventurous life can never be fear-free...
But at least help my fears to be my soul's signal for rallying.
Instead of running.


People keep on asking me why I am joining the Peace Corps, and others keep on saying I am brave for joining. I think my answer for why I am joining is fear. And I am not brave, I am deciding to answer my soul'd signal for rallying.

1 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great reason for going -- what a great poem/prayer! That kind-of sums it up, doesn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home